Q&A: Death benefits

Can Council 31 help me obtain death benefits for a loved one?

AFSCME does not administer any death benefits. If your loved one has passed away, then you should contact the retirement system that they were a member of (SERS, SURS, IMRF, Municipal Employees Annuity and Benefit Fund of Chicago, or Cook County Annuity + Benefit Fund). Once the retirement system is notified, this will also cancel any automatic union dues deductions that may be coming out of their annuity.

Sign Up for Email Updates

Get Mobile Updates

Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text STOP to opt out. No purchase necessary. Expect 4 msgs/mo. Terms and Conditions

Affiliated Links